Monday, 14 September 2015

Top Notch?

Markus Persson is a VERY rich man.  Not just ‘I’ll buy the next round at the bar’ rich, or even a round for the entire town….. this guy could literally buy his own country (but not Greece or Spain obviously as they’re in the clearance section in Lidl currently!), we are talking fully fledged commonwealth.

Why,  I hear you ask?  Well, he sold his company (that created Minecraft) to Microsoft for a cool $2.5 BILLION.  Don’t ask me exactly how many zeros that is, but it’s a lot.
So what has he done with his wealth?  Very little, it would appear, other than bitch about it and piss people off.  He outbid Jay Z and Beyonce on a $70 million house in LA; that would have pissed THEM off for a start.  But he has outranged his employees by selling the business and running.

I think what is more concerning is the tweets he has been sending out into the Universe lately.  I mean, I think I understand the stresses that overnight wealth of this magnitude might possibly lead to.  All joking aside, I imagine huge wealth like that IS a burden and it must be very difficult to ever know if people really like you for YOU for the rest of your life, or the luxuries and kudos that comes along with being in their entourage. 
He is quoted as sending the following tweets:

‘Human interaction becomes impossible due to imbalance.’

‘The problem with getting everything is you run out of reasons to keep trying.’

‘Hanging out in Ibiza with a bunch of friends and partying with famous people, able to do whatever I want and I’ve never felt more isolated.’

‘In Sweden, I will sit around and wait for my friends with jobs and families to have time to do shit, watching my reflection in the monitor.’

Now I am torn between thinking what a self-absorbed wanker, to genuinely thinking it must be a form of Hell.
On the S.A.W side, let’s examine the evidence (Loyd Grossman style):

·         FFS mate!  You’re rich beyond your WILDEST dreams. 

·         Your family will never have to worry about their security for the rest of their lives. 

·         You can treat your friends to the absolute best of everything in life; hotels, cars, parties, women.

·         Think about the GOOD you could do with that money! 

·         The charity work you could do.  Hell, you could fucking eradicate hunger in an entire third world country (if not more than one!).  

·         You could fund a space mission. 

·         Think of the medical research you could help with. 

And you’re bitching because a few self-obsessed A list celebrities don’t meet your expectations?  Who cares?  They’re probably arrogant as Hell because they’ve read all their own press anyway!
However:

·        How soul destroying must it be to never actually know (deep down) for the rest of your life, whether people truly like you for YOU, or you vast sums of money.  Can there really be anything more hollow and destructive than no true friends?

·         I imagine the money will ruin your family and it’s relationships as much as it will your own life.  Money is the root of all evil.  How much is ‘enough’ to gift family.  How much is ‘too much’?  Will they think that it is their entitlement for the rest of their lives for you to keep them topped up.  Too much money and time on your hands must surely lead to temptation and bad choices.

·         Friends….. ahhh!  This is a minefield (pardon the pun) for us mere mortals, let alone your mate who’s just become richer than Hades.  They would NEVER see the need to dip their hand into their own pocket; why should they?  Can’t see them offering to ‘do dutch’ on a private jet to the Maldives on a normal salary.  This would stress even the greatest of friendships.  And the new doors that would be opened to the MegaRich programmer must surely alienate Geoff from Accounts as his mate hob nobs with supermodels.

·         It would be difficult to think you’ve got all the time and money in the world to do with whatever you wish, but your ‘real’ friends have lives and jobs and mundane existences.  People do generally have to live to work.  It’s part of the balance.  Skewing this balance takes it’s toll.

·         The burden to ‘do good’ with the money.  I imagine it’s well and truly ‘open season’ for the millions of charities worldwide to bombard him with pleas for help from all over the globe from small, seemingly low profile causes, through to global charities.  Honestly, where would you start?  It’s a serious question.  I believe the burden is real.

·         Why would you want your own space mission anyway?   NASA seem pretty good that that stuff and Mr Branson seems to have that covered for the individual market.

·         Again, the need for money for medical research is vast – what cause do you support?  There are so many needy causes and so many scammers looking for a quick buck.

So, although I don’t agree with his self-absorbed melancholy and could almost hear a very high percentage of the population pleading with him for this problem, I for one, would not be at the front of the queue with my bank paying in slip.  I think it would ruin any normal decent person. 
It’s quite ironic that this ‘positive’ list is completely mirrored in the ‘negative’ column.

Sometimes there a lot to be said for ‘be careful what you wish for’
………..lend us a fifty?